Sunday, September 23, 2012

Easy Pumpkin Waffles

**I'm interrupting my St. Lucia posts with a quick recipe post.  I just couldn't help myself from writing a food post after taking such a long break from the blog!**  

Happy first day of fall!  The morning air is starting to have a has a nice crisp to it, leaves are falling, and other Fall-y things are starting to happen.  Pumpkin spice and salted caramel mocha lattes at Starbucks and fall decorations sprouting up everywhere are enough to get me in the Fall spirit!  My friend Clare and I are absolutely in love with the salted caramel mocha.  If you haven't tried one yet...you need to...now.

If you didn't already know this about me, I absolutely love anything pumpkin flavored.  Last weekend, I woke up craving waffles.  But then I thought about how it was almost Fall so it would be completely appropriate to make pumpkin waffles!  I got so excited just at the thought of these that I dusted off my barely used Belgian waffle maker and got to work. 

I had a box of hungry jack buttermilk pancake mix, but you could also use Bisquick, or any other pancake mix.  I needed this to be quick and easy since I don’t like recipes with a lot of ingredients and I was hungry and ready to have me some waffles!  
 
I found this recipe online and it was perfect.  All you need is:
                
  • 2 cups pancake mix
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin 
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract




Mix all the ingredients together until there are no lumps.  Turn on your waffle maker and spray generously with non-stick spray.

 
all the ingredients ready to mix
pumpkin waffle batter

I dropped about 1/3 cup of the mixture into my waffle iron, but the amounts may vary based on the size of the waffle maker you have.  The waffles took only 3 minutes or so to cook.  Once most of the steam was gone, I knew the waffles were pretty much done.  The end result are delicious waffles with a hint of pumpkin flavor.  They weren't overpowering at all.  I just had them with butter and syrup but I'm sure they would be great with pecans, cinnamon sugar, or brown sugar. 

breakfast is served
my waffle assembly line
pumpkin waffles
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment