Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Chocolate Chip Lava Cookies

I saw this recipe on Pinterest for chocolate chip lava cookies.  Once I saw the photo of the warm cookie smothered in vanilla ice cream...they had me.

Start with melting 1/2 cup of milk chocolate chips in a plastic bag in the microwave for 30 seconds, or until melted, set aside.  (I used a sandwich bag but after microwaving it didn't hold up so well, so use something sturdier, like a freezer bag)


Cream one stick of butter with 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar and 1/2 cup granulated sugar

After creaming the butter and sugars for 3-5 minutes in the electric mixer, add one egg and 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract...
swirls!
Add combined 1 and 3/4 cups all purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder to wet mixture


Add one cup of chocolate chips.  Then try not to eat half of the dough while you assemble the cookies - very important!


Using only half of the prepared dough, scoop 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons into your hands and flatten it out, and place in a greased muffin pan (makes 10-11 cookies)


Now, grab the plastic bag with the melted chocolate....  It's time.  

Snip of a corner of the bag with a scissor, and squeeze the chocolate in the middle of the dough.


Using the remaining dough, scoop and flatten out in your hands like you did for the first layer, and gently place over first layer and melted chocolate


Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.  WHEN I make these again, I will bake them for a couple minutes less, just to leave the center more gooey.  I was concerned that the edges weren’t getting  browned, so I left it in for closer to 20 minutes. I would think 15 is probably perfect.

Cooling down
Oh look!  I've got all the dessert I didn't need to eat lined up for the week!

I microwave them for about 30 seconds to get them really warm and then scoop some vanilla ice cream on top.  It was like the cookie and ice cream were made for each other!  

I'm so cute, you'll have to eat me

yum yum yum
Now, my diet isn't so happy about these cookies being in the house, but I say screw it!  Live a little and eat some chocolate chip lava cookies once in a while :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment