Monday, February 6, 2012

Spicy Tuna Salad



I love spicy food.  I love tuna salad.  Therefore, I love spicy tuna salad!  My mom always used to put a little hot sauce in tuna salad when I was growing up.  But Sriracha is not just your average hot sauce…it’s wonderful and I don’t know how I’ve lived without it for so many years.  Sriracha is a spicy chili sauce that you can put on just about anything.  It’s very spicy but has a really good chili flavor too. 


I got the idea to put Sriracha in tuna salad from my co-worker.  He used leftover spicy mayo from a sushi restaurant to make tuna salad.  Spicy mayo is basically just mayo and Sriracha mixed together, so I thought I would give it a try. 






Since I've been trying to eat healthy, I mixed the tuna with half regular mayo and half light mayo (about 1 tablespoon of each per can).  I love the flavor of regular mayo but don’t want all the calories, so this is a good compromise and you can’t really tell the difference taste wise.


I like to add some chopped onion or celery into the tuna salad to give it some extra flavor and crunch.  Add a little salt, pepper, and celery salt and you’re good to go!  I like to mix up 2 or 3 cans worth of tuna salad over the weekend so I can make sandwiches quickly in the morning during the work week.  Spread it on a sandwich thin or bagel thin and you’ve got a delicious, healthy, and cheap lunch! 

If you are inspired to make some of this tuna salad – I recommend picking up some cans at CVS where they are only $0.88 each this week, which is a very good price (sale goes through this Saturday 02/11).

No comments:

Post a Comment