Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Ready for a Change

Last weekend, my friend told me about MyFitnessPal, which is an IPhone app and website, and I was instantly hooked. Based on your height, current weight, and amount of weight you want to lose, it gives you a recommendation on how many calories you should be eating a day.  There is a food diary in the app and you can even scan a bar-code of something you're eating and it will add it to your calories for the day.  I guess I didn't realize how much I was really eating - those calories add up FAST!  But the nice thing is that it's not a diet plan.  You can eat whatever you want, you just can't eat as much as you're probably used to.  And since you probably want to eat more, you will pick healthier things to fill up on!


Another cool thing is that if you burn calories by working out, it subtracts that from your calories eaten for the day, so you can eat more and still lose weight!  For example, if your recommendation is 1,500 calories/day, and you burn 500 calories by working out, then you can eat 2,000 calories that day.  Also, you can keep up with how your friends are doing with their goals if they also have MyFitnessPal accounts.








I guess a light bulb just went off in my head, and I got serious about losing the weight.  The weekly free Zumba classes my boss offers after work and the new gym membership I have also gave me the push I needed to get started. 

I have been content with my weight for a while, but I want to be happy with my weight. I want my clothes to fit without having to try and cover up some pudge here and there. I want to wear a bikini in the summer and feel confident that my body looks great. But other than that, I want to be healthy and be more aware of what I put into my body.  I'm excited to get the ball rolling!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! I'm glad we can commiserate. You should know though that you do look great. We'll have to plan some kind of physical activity together.

    ReplyDelete